Saturday, November 19, 2011

I am curious if anyone out here knows why Alaskan King Crab is always sold in the US precooked?

My best friend and I were shopping in the market and saw the King Crab Legs and wondered why they were always sold already cooked. I have tried to search for an answer online but nothing comes up, only ways to cook the already precooked legs. Thank you anyone who answers for your help in this curiosity question..|||It's kind of a no-brainer. The transportation time from Alaska or Aleutian Island waters to the rest of the world takes longer than seafood spoilage times. Even on ice, they would not keep long enough to reach the market, and the crabs are so bloody HUGE, there's no way to transport them alive like lobsters from Maine or Florida. I'm not sure the specifics of the limited crabbing season, but that could also have something to do with it as well. Lobster season is only 2 weeks long, and King Crab season is only 4 days!!! A crab caught in season in July will not keep fresh for market in November. Seafood and shellfish is one of the most common sources of food poisoning because of improper storage temperature. If it's a crabmeat salad with mayonnaise, you're taking double trouble risk. It could be tainted, and you won't know... Know way to tell until after you've eaten it. D'oh! ;-)





If you want fresh crab, I suggest you get some Dungeness or Florida stone crabs from a seafood market. Dungeness meat is the next best thing to Alaskan King. There are also some very good "fake" crabmeats sold in meat depts now too. They taste great for off-season substitutes.|||That is funny, because I buy them uncooked and frozen from two different large grocery chains in my US community. I have never seen them precooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment